Thursday, December 12, 2013

Book review- The Cosmic Clues by Manjiri Prabhu

The Cosmic Clues

Author: Manjiri Prabhu
ISBN-13: 9788184954791
Binding: Paperback
Publisher: Jaico Publishing House
Number of Pages: 324
Genre: Fiction 
Language: English
Price: Rs. 299 (Got a review copy from publishers)


About the Book: 

Sonia Samarth couldn't have predicted it. It had only been a day, but her first advertisement had drawn dozens of responses. In the bustling city of Pune, with its winding alleys and exotic customs, Sonia has launched a brand new business - private investigation guided by Hindu astrology. Her unique brand of investigation might raise eyebrows but before long, she seems to have found her niche.
When a cat leads Sonia to her very first investigation, she uses astrology to unmask the killer. Suddenly, clients begin streaming in a persistent, handsome TV personality, a terrified bride to be a missing husband with suicidal tendencies. These cases initially seem like isolated experiences, but Sonia soon finds that they are bound by an invisible thread. Very soon she will have to look closely at her own stars a notorious international criminal has just crossed Sonias path and he has his own plans for her future.

Aniesha Speaks :

I don't quite know how to start this review since it had a lot of elements I am biased about: 
i) Astrology and
 ii) a cat. 
All my life, I have preferred a cat over a dog, which has earned me both weird stares and awkward questions. Nevertheless, I will still go ahead and proclaim to the world that I am indeed a cat person. When I read the gist where it says Sonia Samarth's luck changes when the cat walks into their Stellar Investigations office, I was intrigued. I just knew I had to read this one for myself. 

Manjari Prabhu does not disappoint us when she says that this is India's first detective who combines astrology with her investigations. Reading horoscopes has always been regarded as scared in India, and this runs true through all the cases Sonia solves. 

Instead of focusing on one particular crime, Prabhu takes us through a series of unfortunate events, which slowly establishes Sonia and Jatin's detective agency. There is also subtle hints about her love life with Mohnish Rai, a freelance journalist, who also happens to own a flower shop! (I thought that touch was pretty cool... a florist...wow!!!) 

A few hundred pages into the novel and Sonia begins to get flower bouquets from a Secret Admirer...even though she suspects they are sent by Mohnish, there is an unexpected twist in the tale. 

Prabhu holds the reader's interest to the last and yes, this book really is one of its kind. I am afraid to write more because I fear I'd end up revealing too much and take away the mystery from the readers. What has made me happier was the stamp on the cover whic said, "Soon to be a major motion picture." I really look forward to seeing this story on screen, and I am wondering who should play Sonia Samarth! 

Reviewed by Aniesha for Dreams and Drama.

3 comments:

Thank you for passing by and please do leave your valuable comments,they mean a lot to us. Please make sure you leave your blog link or your mail id so that we can get back to you.